Tuesday 17 November 2009

Wired

A lot of things have happened since my last post. After looking around for a job since my operation in May, I’ve finally got one. Well technically I have two part-time ones. They’re both Assistant Psychologist posts working with people living with chronic pain. Seems everything’s worked out quite nicely as I nabbed the positions when I’m finally fully fit! I should point out that it took me almost 100 applications to get these jobs, and that including me browsing a jobs website around a week after my surgery in the patient computer room (whilst pumped full of medication which made it extremely hard to read anything at all!).

On the topic of psychology...where have all the psychology bloggers gone?! Seems that everyone’s had to dash off into hiding after one anonymous blogger was outed to her company.

In terms of my heart there are a few things to mention. Sternum wires...god damn them! They leave these in you after sawing your ribcage open and it holds everything together during the recovery. They don’t bother to take it out as it would require another operation. I have a mental image of what my chest x-ray would look like...lots of jagged lines all over the place, tied in knots to hold the bones together. Why do I bring this up? Well I’ve noticed that I can feel them poking out slightly. If I arch my back out in a stretch I can feel a wire poking out uncomfortably. I don’t think it’s anything to worry about, but it sure is annoying!

I went ahead and got the swine flu vaccination. Seems I’ve had a bad reaction to it as it’s sent my heart rate up to a 100 and given me some bad symptoms. I’m hoping these will pass...I worked hard to get my pulse back down to 70! So if you’re a patient and thinking of getting it, just consult your cardiologist. Opinion tends to vary depending on the cardiologist.

Part of my keloid scar has reduced thankfully, but it still looks hideous and sticks out. I’m considering the dreaded injection of steroids which apparently can help. Will decide a bit later on...

3 comments:

  1. Hey congrats on the jobs- hope they work out for you. Have you started them yet?

    Glad that you're still recovering well after your op.

    DSP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there,

    Thanks for that! Well I've had my first day at one of the places and I'm loving it! The second one I've been volunteering at for a year so it won't be a huge transition as I know most of the people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I done PSY/SOC 373 Research Methods, and finding jobs. i have no experience. and searching some useful content related to it and also jobs option. i like your post.i have one option that help me a lot to finding jobs in such a regarding fields. hope it's help you.Psychology.

    ReplyDelete

 
Clicky Web Analytics