Saturday 21 March 2009

The Beginning

What's the best way to start this blog? I guess I'll sum it up nice and quickly:
  • I'm 22 years old, male, from London.
  • I have aortic stenosis (which means my aortic valve is narrowing over time). If left untouched it would eventually close up, which is not good.
  • I'm scheduled for surgery on the 6th of May, 2009.

So, why this blog? Well for the most part I felt it was important to share the process of getting an aortic valve replaced, for future patients who just might happen to come across this (assuming this blog will get any visitors!). There's also the fact that I'm only 22 and as egotistical (is that the right word?) as it sounds, I think that's a pretty rare thing as the majority of patients are a fair bit older when they have their operation. Finally, there's a lot out there on the internet about the experience of Americans in my situation, but the experience of British patients is kind of lacking.

Well there you have it! Stick with me on my journey and hopefully somebody will find this as useful read prior to their own surgery!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there. Just found your blog. I too have aortic stenosis - congenital, found as an infant and monitored ever since. Have got through all checkups and times/stages deemed "high risk" ie growth spurts, adolescence, pregnancy, labour etc. Now at age 42 have been told I am facing aortic valve replacement in next few years if the valve keeps expanding as it has due to turbulence from the bicuspid valve. Bummer! Trialled medication to lower blood pressure but couldnt tolerate it. BP wasnt high to start with so felt very unwell/faint/couldnt drive/care for my children so stopped taking it. Anyway - short version is I am grateful for your posts and will be reading more of them to prepare myself if this is indeed what I am facing. PS I am a psychologist too.

    ReplyDelete

 
Clicky Web Analytics