Sunday 29 March 2009

The Fear

It's almost a month before my operation and I'm not scared one bit. I say this honestly, not trying to put on a brave front or with the intention of saying 'look at me, I'm tough'. It really isn't a big deal to me. People have spoke about feeling light headed when thinking of the operation, unable to stand. I wonder if more closer to the time, when I'm in my hospital room the day before the operation, maybe then I feel some of this fear. But right now it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. When I tell people I'm having a heart operation I always find myself following up with the phrase "It's really not a big deal, the risk is like 1% and it sounds worse than it actually is". Am I mad?

I will admit however, when I first found out about the operation I was in a bit of a daze. But that lasted all but 5 minutes. Why so short? A bird decided to leave it's 'white mark' on me as I walked down the street and I couldn't help but laugh.

Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm just a rather passive person...I'm not sure this is a good thing however.

P.S. Am I the only British patient who didn't have their condition fully explained to them, or is this common in our country? I was always told that my condition was not too serious and that it could be fixed with the old 'balloon in the heart' operation. The first I heard about open heart surgery was when I was told I needed the operation. I really love the NHS for many things, but the lack of involvement I've had is really frustrating. Lucky for me I'm aware of how it works in America so I'm more proactive in engaging with doctors, doing research online (finally I can put my Research degree to use and easily understand the journal articles!).

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your blog, AJAy! It will be interesting to follow your comments through the AVR process. I see that you have not been fully briefed on your condition. I hope that you can get more information. Is your valve bicuspid? What is the condition of your aorta? Will you meet with your surgeon? As for valve choice, it seems as though ACT (anticoagulation therapy) is not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. I'm at the other end of the age spectrum from you at age 60, but I think that I would do my best to convince the surgeon to use a mechanical valve at your age because of the risks of reoperation. Well, I just wanted to say hello and let you know that someone is reading your blog. I'm sure there will be others. Best wishes,

    Jim

    ReplyDelete

 
Clicky Web Analytics