Saturday 25 April 2009

Tying Up Loose Ends

So with a week and 3 days until I go into hospital, I find myself in the odd state of slowly wrapping up everything in my life. I haven't really gone in to my personal life but now's a better time than never. I volunteer as a Research Assistant at a hospital, as well as doing some volunteering at a charity, and then I work at a supermarket (which I plan on leaving very soon now that I have finished University!). So in this last week I have been running around trying to get things sorted for when I will be in hospital. I've said my goodbyes to the people I volunteer with and I have 2 days left of paid work at the supermarket. Not to sound macabre but it feels like I'm planning for my death! Of course I don't actually think I will die, but the way I have had to think of every little thing and make sure it is sorted is a little strange.

I've been reading up some more about people's stories who have had heart surgery. Apparantly sneezing after the operation is a big issue and it can blow open the sternum wires (which are there to hold the sternum together after surgery). I'm really worried about this so I'm monitoring how often I sneeze this week and trying to find ways of stopping them. Apparantly holding your finger against the bone between your nostrils at the bottom of your nose helps. We shall see...!

I also need to buy some things for the hospital. But I need to ring them first. Do they have showers in the hospital? Do you shave there? Is there an actual bathroom or do you always use a bedpan? I need to get these questions answered!

By the way, I went to Thorpe Park (a theme park, see one of the previous posts) and had no problems at all. I did avoid the major rides but the ones I went on were hardly childish so that was good. Can't wait till I recover from surgery and do some sky-diving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Clicky Web Analytics