Saturday 18 July 2009

Interview, Job Offers and a Racing Heart

I went to see my cardiologist and all seems well. The only issue is that I have developed something called a keloid scar. A keloid scar looks elevated and as it’s been bloated right up, and is very pink. But I can live with that. The cardiologist says that some people are just prone to developing it after surgery and that is should heal on its own. However, a quick search on Google tells me it might not be common for keloids to heal...-gasp- lying doctor! Well either way I’m not too worried because as long as my heart is functioning then the scar can look however it wants!

Now for the big question – swine flu. Rest assured people, swine flu is not more risky for people with valve replacement! However, my GP did say that if I do feel any flu symptoms they will put me straight on the medicine as a precaution. And in terms of normal flu, it now seems that I have to be given a flu jab every winter just like my granddad! I actually don’t mind this either because I hate getting the flu so bring on the jab!

Now another topic. In terms of any dental appointments. For those of you that are new to this topic, it’s common for heart patients to have antibiotics before any type of dental procedure because the nasty stuff in your mouth can go straight to your heart and cause an infection. Now for some reason the guidelines have been changed saying there is no evidence that antibiotics help and your dentist will probably tell you that you don’t need it. Don’t listen to him! There is a lot of criticism about this decision to say antibiotics aren’t needed, and there doesn’t appear to be any clear evidence either way. So until some researchers out there give some hard evidence, just take the extra precaution. Especially if you have a mechanical valve.

I feel like I’m writing a blog for the NHS...so let’s add a personal touch before I bore you all. My heart rate seems to be going down. On leaving hospital it was stuck around 90-100 bpm. What I’ve noticed for myself is that with exercise, the resting heart rate seems to go down. Half an hour on the treadmill every few days or so does the trick. Anyway, right now it’s slipped down to the 80 point (high 70s on a good day!) which is great. The only problem I had was being thrown into a stressful situation – a meeting with a researcher and his team to discuss a project. My heart was racing throughout – partly because this researcher can be very intimidating at times, but also because I was offered a job! He has money to throw at a project I’ve developed, however he wants to take control and turn it in to something else with a different focus. I think it will benefit the clients I see but I’m going to turn down the job (I’m mad I know). And on the job front I also received my first interview!! That also sent my heart racing but I haven’t noticed any problems. My interview is next Tuesday and I just hope I can stay calm and not have anything strange happen – e.g. suddenly get chest pains and get distracted because of my worries!

P.S. For the person who found this blog wanting to know about sex... Yes you can have sex after valve replacement. As soon as you can handle stairs then you can go right ahead...just use your common sense.

P.P.S. Anyone with any questions about the whole surgery experience, feel free to leave a comment and I’ll answer it in my next post if I can!

5 comments:

  1. Good luck with the interview! Let us know how it goes. Glad to hear you're making a good recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there - I found your blog and was impressed with the open nature of it...
    I had similar a yeah ago and this brought back a lot of memories.
    I'm "only" 28 and had the procedure as an emergency operation after an aneurysm I didn't know i'd had.
    I've got the metalic valve and definately hear the ticking. My surgeon told me it was 50/50 whether you'd get used to it or not.
    It's good fun turning to people in the cinema and saying "sorry about the ticking" during a bad film :)
    I found you by searching for the swine flu, and appreciate the tips. I didn't realise I had to have annual flu jabs as i didn't get one last winter, but I'll certainly give my doc a call.
    Cheers anyway. Hope your scar goes to a level you'd like.. don't pick it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments guys! The interview went pretty well, it was for an IAPT position and it only lasted for about 10 minutes.

    Colin, that's good to hear you're doing well too! I'm definitely not picking at my scar any more but I do scratch around it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope this first issue of the newsletter will help more colleagues, patients and concerned families achieve a real contemporary perception of what can be done for AS patients of all ages. This low-impact, patient-centered approach to aortic stenosis affords excellent outcomes and restores a normal life expectancy and improved quality of life in the vast majority of treated patients. I strongly encourage you to present this information to anybody who is affected by Aortic Valve Stenosis or has an unexplained onset of shortness of breath, fatigue. Valve Replacement Thailand

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Blog admin,Thank you for this great opportunity to write on your blog regarding a wonderful deed of a traditional healer called Dr Itua which helped me cure my myeloma cancer and diabetes,Arthritis, At the same time I was devastated from living a helpless life until I came across Dr Itua herbal center.Dr Itua is a traditional herbal doctor who reside in africa and he have so many knowledge about natural root and herbs to cure all kind of disease and infections, Dr Itua has really been so good to me and my family in time of herbal remedies so I will advise anyone here with health challenge to contact Dr Itua for help to get healed from all kind of diseases.Contact Dr Itua herbal center on:
    drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / https://drituaherbalcenter.com

    ReplyDelete

 
Clicky Web Analytics