Sunday 12 July 2009

Please Let Me Jump Out of a Plane After Life Threatening Surgery...

So I was curious to see what the main reason was for visitors stumbling upon this blog (other than being a regular reader). To my surprise...nearly every person who finds this from Google is wanting information on swine flu and aortic valve replacement. Now I’m not here to mock anyone but I did find how one person found this site funny: “Will having a pig valve give me swine flu?” That did put a smile to my face but I felt it was important to say that you will not get swine flu like that! If you catch it, it will be from another person. You have nothing to worry about having a pig valve if you choose that route.

The rest of the people seemed to want information on swine flu and valve replacement in general. Now I don’t have the answers concerning the risk to valve replacement patients yet, but I am seeing my cardiologist tomorrow and plan to ask him this question and will put the answers on here for anyone curious.

My appointment tomorrow is the usual follow up to check how my sternum and scar are healing, and to see how my heart is. I thought it was a good idea to make a list of questions I wanted to ask:

• Will I be able to do sky diving?
• Is the yellow gross puss normal (I only have a tiny bit left on the scar)
• Will I be able to fly a plane? No, seriously. (I want to get a license for that!)
• When can I start running? (I’ve only been doing brisk walking now)
• When can I do weights?

I don’t plan to ask when I can go back to work. I already know that I can, but plan to visit my GP and give a sob story of how the supermarket I work for makes me pull heavy cages and life heavy things. Hopefully I can get a month extra off! Oh...by the way, don’t call me a cashier! Whenever someone asks what my career is I casually say Research Assistant (and conveniently miss out the voluntary part!)

As an update of where I’m at 8 weeks post-op...I feel no pain really apart from when I wake upin the morning. Even then, this is usually minimal. Sneezing can still make me feel like a bomb has just gone off in my chest but apart from that, it’s okay! I’m also walking very briskly now (at a speed of 6km an hour). I tend to walk about 3km a day – gets you very sweaty after all that work. I feel like I can if I wanted to but want to wait to see what the doctor says first tomorrow. I think I’m recovering quite quickly but that might be down to my young age. I can’t wait to test myself on the treadmill to see if there’s an improvement in my stamina like I was promise! Oh, and before I forget, my pulse tends to rest around 90bmp. I’m not happy about that, but have noticed if I do regular exercise it will come down. If not, then it goes back up. Need to ask the cardiologist about that.

2 comments:

  1. Dear ajay this all new to me so I hope. Doing this right. 1st of all I hope your ok and still blogging amd I mean that. I too have a mechanical valve fitted 4 months ago just hit my inr 2.5 now I go back in 1 month to be tested again bp is 170 over 80 bpm is around 60 if hypertension or just nerves every time I hàve it took. My trouble is I'm struggleing with diet to go with inr and hbp any suggestions. Please continue with your blog it sounds like my story alot ps do you get a click on deep breaths in your chest also cold hands many thanks steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve, thanks for your message. I used to get clicks on deep breaths post-op, but after a while that went away. After surgery we understandably remain very concerned about our health, but the doctors do a great job of picking up on anything that should be of concern. I don't know about the cold hand symptoms and I'm not a doctor so I would say you should talk to your cardiologist if you're concerned. I hope you're recovery is going well and I may just start blogging again on here!

    ReplyDelete

 
Clicky Web Analytics