Sunday 5 July 2009

Kindness, Samaritans, and All that Type of Jazz

Going through a major operation makes you realise how kind people can be. From the time in hospital people who you might not have thought gave a damn about you will turn up to give you support. Now I’m not complaining about this at all – it really is wonderful to know people care and it certainly has changed the way a view different people and made me appreciate distant family members more. And out of hospital I’ve received cards from so many people I don’t even know. For example, my mum’s work colleagues got together to write out a very nice card and give some gift vouchers. Now the cynic in me just thinks they’re doing that because they have to, but no. It doesn’t stop there. Some of her colleagues have actually gone on (religious) fasts when I was in hospital as a kind of prayer for me to get better. Now that really is touching – people you don’t even know doing that for you. I used to think people like this were few and far between but this experience has shown me there really are lots of nice people out there. God, I sound like a tree-hugging hippie full of love now!

Apparently my friend said that people at the place I volunteer at have been asking about me too. The next time I go there I need to make sure to say hello to everyone I pass because I don’t want to offend these people who I don’t know, but know me. Is that a bad thing? I really don’t know how they know me because I’m sure I’ve not met them – maybe I’m one of those terrible people who forget people. Oh damn, that has to change if that’s the case!

Also, in an entirely unrelated bit of information, I’ve applied to volunteer at the Samaritans. And no I’m not seeing the world in a new light now before you start rolling your eyes! I actually think it will be a good perspective to help people who have/are going through things a lot worse than me. And hey, it should help me develop as a person and maybe get one of those elusive Assistant Psychologist jobs!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Ajay,

    Just to say I'm finding it really interesting reading your blog. My Mother has just had Aortic Valve Replacement surgery at the age of 82 & I'm scouring the internet for stories of folks who've been through it all. Thanks for putting this up.

    I also read with interest that you were thinking of joining the Samaritans. As this is over 3 years later, I'm wondering if that came to anything? I've been a volunteer with Oxford Samaritans since 2004 (and before that from 1982-1989).

    You sound like you're a very caring person, and I think, if you did join the Sams that you would be a very good one, and also that you would get a lot out of it. It really puts your life in perspective.

    ReplyDelete

 
Clicky Web Analytics