Thursday 11 June 2009

Home Time!

So, fluid around the heart after my initial operation. Apparently this is ‘usual’ in patients who have heart surgery. You can also get fluid in the lungs too which can also be drained. For the fluid around the heart I was put under general anaesthetic again because they take a needle and insert it towards your heart to drain the fluid. Not something you want done whilst you are awake! I woke from the operation just as they were moving me off the operating table and boy was I in a lot of pain. But I kept reminding myself it was nothing compared to having your heart cut open. This seemed to clear up my coughing and I felt a bit better.

So finally, could I go home? No. I had an infection – E. coli. I go into hospital to get one thing fixed and I pick up a damn infection! It was at this point I stopped setting myself goal posts on when I would be going home because it just ended up disappointing me when it didn’t happen. My family were great and continued to come every morning and evening to bring me food and keep me company. I do wonder that if I had the operation when I was much older like most patients, would I have coped as well?

The days went on and they gave me antibiotics to tackle the infection and after a grand total of 2 and half weeks, I was finally released! I had planned on being in there for 5/6 days but in the end, what’s another week or so? I left a card for all the nurses and health care assistants – they really do such a great job and get paid so little for the long shifts they do. Don’t ever be rude to them if you’re in hospital yourself! They keep the whole place ticking.

On a different point, the experience has told me not to apply for a health care assistant job in the mental health field. I really could not handle the long shifts and I think the things they have to put up with are very difficult. I totally respect anyone who has gone down that route for psychology though because in a way it is good hands on experience.

The moment you step outside the hospital you feel better. The fresh air, seeing everyone on the buses going to various places. It all helps. Luckily I didn’t have to go on public transport because that would have been difficult – can you imagine just being released after open heart surgery and going on the London Underground at rush hour?!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, glad to hear you're at home and making a good recovery etc.

    Don't be so hard on yourself about not being upto MH support work- I think if I'd realised what I was getting myself into when I started mine I never would have done it-yes I am far more tired than I should be for the amount I get paid and yes sometimes it is totally crap- but sometimes it is so rewarding and you can surpise yourself at how you handle things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think when you put it that way you are probably right... It's bound to be a rewarding job despite the negative aspects of it!

    ReplyDelete

 
Clicky Web Analytics