Saturday 6 June 2009

Day 0

So it’s been a long while since I’ve posted but I’m finally out of hospital. There’s a lot to talk about but I think the best way to do this is go one chunk at a time, instead of one huge post that no-one will want to read!

When you go for your operation you’re asked to come in a day before so they can run some general tests on you and get you admitted. It felt very strange because everyone there is recovering from an operation and having problems with pain and nausea whilst I’m walking about easily and wondering what’s on television that night. I got to meet the nurses who were all very nice, and then the anaesthetist who would put me to sleep the next day. He wrote me up a drug to help me sleep that night, which I initially thought I wouldn’t need but I did take it in the end. At this point I still wasn’t nervous, but that all changed the next day. Word of warning by the way: to any future patients, hospital food is very bad so if you’re lucky enough to get regular visitors, have them bring lots of food!

On to the day of the operation. Mine was scheduled for 8am and despite the sleeping pill I found myself waking up at 5:30am. Probably my brain unconsciously getting me ready for the operation. You have to have a shower and clean, and if you’re a man you have to shave your chest! Once that was done you get kitted out in some very trendy hospital gear – a gown and some anti-clotting tights. About half an hour before the operation the nurse will give you another pill to help you sleep. It makes you feel very drowsy and probably a little ‘drunk’. I remember talking a lot of rubbish to my family when they came to my room.

A porter then came to wheel me away on the bed. I said my goodbyes to my family and I think this was when I started to feel nervous. But things start moving so quickly that you’re soon faced with the anaesthetist. I tried my best to remember everything that happened but for the life of me I cannot remember being knocked out. I just remember the thing the place over your mouth.

From what I’ve been told my operation lasted about 3 hours. My family went to get breakfast because it’s not good to be waiting there and worrying. I was taken to ITU (aka ICU) after the operation. I don’t remember when I awoke but my first memory is my family around me. I couldn’t speak because I had a breathing ventilator down my throat which is very uncomfortable. I just wanted that damn thing out! I eventually started to communicate by spelling letters in the air; and then my family got a pen and paper which I could write things on. My memory of this whole period is very blurry because I was so full of drugs.

Eventually the ventilator was removed and I was suddenly aware of just how much effort breathing takes. The worst thing is that your throat is so saw and dry that you cannot talk – it’s more of a dry growl than coherent words. I drank sips of water but it did eventually go away slowly. From what I remember of that I just drifted off to sleep so I think I shall leave the next part for the next blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Clicky Web Analytics