Saturday 20 June 2009

Scar

So considering it’s exactly one month post-op, I thought it would be best to talk about my scar. A lot of people worry about this, but personally I’m not too concerned. A scar is a scar and as long as your heart it ticking away it shouldn’t be an issue. Admittedly, straight after surgery it might not look pretty. Red and black scabs will form over it and you mustn’t get it wet. But fear not if you’re going to have the surgery! The scabs will start to fall away and be replaced by a pinkish line where new skin has grown. If you are concerned about the aesthetics of the scar the most important thing is not to let sunlight get on it for the first year for an extended period of time because it will become more prominent. Eventually it will became faint, but it will always be there. Personally I think it ‘adds character’! It’s pretty unique and I’m beginning to like it already!

It’s also remarkable at how quickly the scar heals. For those curious, here’s a picture of mine one month after surgery:


For those not too familiar with such things it might look a bit repulsive (my brother still can’t look at it!), but apparently it’s quite a good scar. A nurse actually said it was the best scar she had seen. In time I’m expecting the pink and red to disappear and be replaced by a fine line. But it will always be there and I’m happy with that. For those of you who are considering key-hole surgery to avoid having a big scar, I’d just like to add my two cents... It’s really not a big issue and why would you want to limit the accessibility to the heart just so you can have a smaller scar. Quite a few surgeons have spoken against this type of surgery because they feel it limits what they can do in unexpected circumstances.

Now, for anyone wondering if this blog has anything worth reading now that my surgery is over I just have to say YES IT WILL! There’s the whole issue of how to live life on anti-coagulation and a mechanical valve, which I know a lot of future patients want information about!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Clicky Web Analytics